Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Baptism Day

It was such a neat thing for Gabby to be able to share her baptism day with her cousin Parlee.  I gave her the choice of having her own baptism or sharing it with Parlee and there wasn't even a hesitation.  She was so excited to be able share her day with a cousin.  These two were born 6 days apart at the same hospital.  I was on bed rest at the hospital after finding out Gabby's twin, Adara had died.  Tricia came in and had Parlee and went home while I was still in the hospital.  They put us in neighboring rooms and we spent some fun time together while we were both in the hospital.  So, it made sense to share this day together.

I had a lot of fun putting the program together and had to include some pictures of the girls growing up together on the back.  From the time they were babies, celebrating their first birthday together, and other fun times.
Here is a copy of the program.  The only change was that Tricia's dad wasn't there, so her brother Brandon was Parlee's other witness.
Gabby was so excited!


 Dallin was able to baptize Parlee.  He went first and we were the first baptisms of the day so they had just filled the font.  I guess they didn't check the temperature and when Dallin and Parlee went in they said it was really hot, but went ahead anyway.  Then when Bump stepped in he was shocked at how hot it was.  He said that if he had gone first he would have stepped back out and made them put cold water in it.  He said it was the hottest hot tub temperature.  Dallin didn't know to say anything because this was the first baptism he had performed.  Gabby told me afterward that she was afraid that her face would melt off when her dad put her under the water.  When we got the girls in the dressing room to change clothes their poor skin was bright red all over!  They cranked the cold water in the font right after we got out.  It will definitely be memorable for them!


 The girls in their pretty white dresses.  Tricia found them at Costco for a great price.  It's nice to have their birthday's close to Easter for just this purpose.  They both looked beautiful!


Gabby after the baptism with Grandma and Grandpa Williams

It was very touching.  After the baptism and before my talk on the gift of the Holy Ghost Brother Erickson, who was conducting, said a few words.  He talked of a sister in their ward, Tricia's friend Heidi, who had passed away on Gabby's birthday.  He said that she had told her kids that she would be able to witness special things that would happen in their lives like baptisms and weddings.  He said that he felt that those who had gone before were there witnessing this special day for these two girls.  

I had already had Adara on my mind that day because I just do that.  I think about how it would be to have twins celebrating these things together and it makes me miss how it could have been.  So, when he spoke I had a special witness that Adara was there with Gabby, just as she always is at special times in her twin's life.  It was hard for me to give my talk after that.  Hopefully I hid it well.  But I did tell Gabby how I felt and bore testimony that I know that her baptism is just the gate to enter to be able to see her sister again.  The spirit was very strong in that room and I am sure that everyone felt it and I know that Brother Erickson had no idea that he spoke of something that touched everyone so deeply.  It was one of those tender mercies that we see in our lives when we look for them.

After the service we all went to Lee and Tricia's house for brunch and socializing.  It was really nice.  After all the families left we headed up to visit Adara's grave with Lee and Tricia's family.  Their kids all picked flowers from the yard and the girls gave her their roses that they got from dance.  Andrew went around the cemetery picking dandelions and decorated her grave with them.  It was such a nice day.


 We let Gabby choose where we would take her out to an early dinner that night.  My parents did that with each of us and I decided to continue the tradition.  She chose Chuck-A-Rama, not my favorite, but she was in heaven.  Then she played the rest of the evening with her cousins while Bump and I went to see the Avengers (great movie).  What a fabulous day!

2 comments:

desertortoise said...

What a memorable day and I loved it was shared with her cousin, super cute girls!

Unknown said...

I love this post!! Thanks for sharing!