Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's Official


Well, it's official. . . after much soul searching and financial need, I am going back to work. I will be working part-time for the US Postal Service, how exciting is that?

I can't believe all of the paperwork and testing that you have to do before you can work for the government! It took me 2.5 hours just to fill out the application and that was after I took a 3 hour SAT-looking test and a type test. I had to do a history of every address I have lived at for the last 5 years (which was very lengthy) and a 10 year work history (not so lengthy since I have been home for the last almost half of that). I had to be finger printed and have a drug test and a medical evaluation and they did a thorough background check.

I will be working at the Remote Data Encoding Center in Salt Lake just nights during the weekend doing data entry. The hours work out well, so it won't interfere with church responsibilities or mom responsibilities and Bump will be home when I am gone - so no child care expense, or too much guilt at leaving them!!

I have really struggled with the decision to work again. I have always thought that if I have enough faith things will work out and I can stay home with my kids doing my most important job! After budgeting, and trying to figure out any other way around it I decided to look and see what was out there. This job is the first one that I have found that has the hours and the pay that I need to make leaving home worth it. The kids will be asleep most of the time that I am gone and their dad will be here. I feel that it is an answer to help us to get in control of our finances and more prepared for what is to come without taking me away from my primary responsibility in life!

I have orientation on Saturday and then two weeks of training from 6pm to midnight Monday thru Friday and then I will be working only weekend nights. This isn't the answer that I thought would come when I prayed to be able to "make it" financially. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge supporter of stay-at-home moms, and would encourage any mother to stay home with their kids if at all possible. This was a very hard decision to make, but I know that it is right for me and for my family. I am grateful for this option that has been given me and am excited to learn something new.

5 comments:

Tera said...

I'm glad you were able to find something that allows you to be home with the kids while they are awake. I hope this helps out your situation. Good luck!

Leslie said...

I heard that the postal service is a great entity to work for! What a blessing that you were able to find this job that will still allow you to be home w/ the kids.
Whatever you do, don't ever fell guilty for being away for a few hours. I am only saying this because we moms tend to beat ourselves up for any minute we are away. But, it may prove to be rejuvenating in a way.
You are a great mom and I hope things work out well!

Anonymous said...

You're such a trooper Erie! I hope it all works out and is a great blessing for your family.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's a comfort to know that we aren't the only ones...I've struggled for quite some time with the decision to teach. Through the years, we have prayed to know if it was time for me to teach to help dig ourselves out of our financial hole. The hole kept getting bigger and the answer was always..."Not yet." This school year as we fasted/prayed about it, the answer was a resounding/comforting "Yes". While it is hard to be away from the loves of my life....and I am home much less than you...I know that it will ultimately be for our good. Good luck with everything! WE love and miss you!