Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's that time again

Sunday we had Stake Conference and it was so nice to, first, have Bump sit with us instead of up on the stand and second, he didn't have any extra Sunday meetings. The kids just thought that it was great that they got to spend extra time with their dad on a Sunday. After the Sunday session we had a relaxing afternoon at home.

Relaxing until for some reason, Quincy decided that she doesn't like having a wet diaper and kept coming up to me every few minutes complaining about her diaper being wet and asking me to change an almost dry diaper (comparatively speaking). Well, those are the famous last words that every parent waits for to let them know that it is time for potty training. So, even though I didn't have potty training on the agenda for this busy week, I have dropped many things (namely my sanity and my housework) to be at the beck-and-call of my 2 year old potty princess.

At our house we have the kids go pretty much commando at first and Quincy was not too happy about that. She kept bringing me her diaper and pants and begged me to put them on her. I must say that it was a pretty rough day yesterday, but she only had one accident and that was when I let her put on some of Gabby's underwear and then got busy with other things - dang it! I put her little potty in the living room so she could sit in front of a movie and be a little distracted until the urges came and the realization and acceptance of what was happening had a chance to sink in.

She fought it a bit at first, but then loved the attention and treats she got for going potty. We figured out by the end of day one that she really preferred stickers to treats, and I didn't mind that one bit! She complained a bit this morning about not having a princess potty to use so I told her that she could decorate her potty with the stickers she earned. That seemed to make everything okay and so much more exciting! She also L-O-V-E-S, loves the Japanese Potty Training Video on YouTube that I used when potty training Corban (see here, please note that I changed the lyrics when I sang it to her). She asks to watch it all the time and I swear to you that it totally works to help them understand! Crazy!

Today was a much better day. She is actually getting it! I am still surprised as I am typing this at how great the day ended up being. When I dropped Corb and Gabby off at school I took Quincy and let her pick out some of her very own princess panties. She held them through the whole store and wouldn't let them go until we got to the register. She has earned a lot of stickers and by this afternoon was actually looking forward to going to the bathroom (both numbers 1 and 2)! I mean, how cool is that?

Hopefully, tomorrow will be even better and we will end up having one of the smoothest potty training experiences EVER! And this is coming from my most stubborn child! Whoa!

Here's a few pictures for posterity! :) In the first one she doesn't look happy, but I kind of caught her off-guard. I just wanted to post this picture to show you how excited the other kids are for her. They have been cheering, encouraging and praising her right along with me and have also wanted to see every result of her *cough* "work."
And here is the potty princess herself. Notice the new Aurora panties she is modeling, as well as all of her stickers adorning her otherwise plain potty. And, yes, it is in my living room. Whatever works, right? Here's hoping. . .

10 comments:

amb said...

Yea! That is exciting...just think...no more diapers!!

Tera said...

Yay! Quincy. You can do it!

Yay! Mom, no more diapers... ever. I'm feeling a bit jealous. :)

Stephanie Dickson said...

Hooray for the magic of princess panties. They worked their magic in our home as well.

Leslie said...

Yay for no more diapers! We just went through this as well and it is a magical thing! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Youre diaper free!! isn't that an awesome feeling. I can't believe she will go #2! I love an easy potty trainer.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Quincy! Talmage just finished potty-training and it is sooo nice!

Tracy Collings said...

Go Quincy!!!

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

Well, its 5 days later- how's it going? Is the lack of updates good or bad?

Amie said...

Hooray for an easy potty-training experience!
Also, I can so relate to the delight of Daddy sitting with you for Stake Conference. Ours is this Sunday and I can hardly wait. It's so nice to have the extra help!

Bump and Erin said...

Going really well! We've had some ups and downs, especially with going to California and Disneyland. But she constantly surprises me by her independence and how many times she remains "dry" when I just know she must be soaked in her pull-up. We've had a few problems with going number 2, but since returning from CA, she's even done fine with that now. We'll keep our fingers crossed, but so far so good! :)