The greatest dog in the whole world - Jake, died today, very unexpectedly. To help me deal with my own sadness I just wanted to do a little tribute and remember a big part of our little family.
I know that some people can be really freaky about their dogs and I don't feel like I was one of those people, but I am surprised at how much his death has affected me. We got Jake about 8 weeks after we were married in 1998. Bump has teased me for years that when Jake dies our love dies, because he was born right about the time we got married. I really hope that isn't true or this post announces the end of our marriage together! :)
Jake was an awesome dog right from the start and we have had more people than we can count tell us that if we ever needed to get rid of him that they would love to have him. He had a bladder of steel and I can count on one had the number of house accidents he has had since he was house trained, and those were only when he was sick. People joke that he was like an "only child" for 6 years until we had kids and, I must say, that he took a back seat when the new little ones came along and really became the family dog. But the kids loved him and we both loved him very much.
His death was very sudden, and in many ways that is better, isn't it? We wouldn't have wanted to watch him suffer. He was old. We knew that the time was coming in the next few years, but overall he was a really healthy dog. He was acting like he wasn't feeling well and has been sleeping more in the last few weeks. We were gone most of the day today. When we got home he walked very slowly outside and went to the bathroom, like the good dog he was. When he came back in the house he just stood looking at Bump and Bump could tell something was up. So he made Jake lay down and held him. He started having a hard time breathing and within 15 minutes he was dead.
Gabby was very sad and said that she prayed that Jake would get feeling better and he didn't. I explained that now he is feeling really good in heaven and that is how Heavenly Father answered her prayer. She wouldn't be calmed until I told her that Jake was playing with Adara now and just think how much fun they are having together.
We buried him by the side of our house where we will plant grass this spring. We couldn't have asked for a better dog and companion for the last 12 years. We will miss Jake so much, but are so glad that he really didn't have to suffer in the end. He always loved to chase lights and especially loved the flashlight. We always joked that when Jake died he would see the light and just run toward it as fast as he could. I bet that's exactly what he did. :)
Here are some fun pictures of Jake over the years. What a good dog!







7 comments:
So sad...just makes me cry and he wasn't even my dog! Let me know if you need anything!
That was an amazing post. I cried like a baby. My heart aches for. Your comment to Gabby about her sister and Jake made me bawl like a baby but the running towards the light really made me laugh. He was so lucky to be so loved. It was really fun seeing all those old pictures. What a good dog!!
I am so sorry for your loss. Have you ever read the poem "The Rainbow Bridge"? We have a few pets waiting for us there. Here's the poem.....
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
I'm so sorry Erin! :( What a sweet dog. I'm glad he waited until you guys came home.
Thanks Erin, I really enjoyed this especially the photos of Jake. What fun memories!
I'm truly sorry, we will miss Jake. My kids loved playing with him so much.
what a great dog! Thank goodness Bump was home and realized Jake needed comfort. I love your answer to your daughter about prayer. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment