Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fall

I love fall! It is my very favorite season of the year and I would be sad if we lived somewhere that didn't have fall. Granted, living in Utah, it seems that the fall season does not last long, but at least we do have a fall.

I love that things cool down and you can wear jackets if you want, or various light layers of clothing. I love football season and the sound of a high school game being played across the street. I love the colors and smells of fall. I love the holidays associated with fall - Halloween and Thanksgiving. I loved going "back to school" and the thoughts and feeling associated with a new school year. I love fresh, crisp apples and visiting pumpkin patches. I get very "crafty" when fall hits and want to make things - I have no idea why, but I must not be the only one because that is always when the Relief Society has their Super Saturday craft days. I can't say enough about how much I love this season!!

But. . . living in as many older homes as I have over the years has taught me something that I actually do not look forward to when fall hits. . .

We always have at least one of these try to move into our house. I really don't mind mice as a whole, I think they are pretty cute, but I definitely do not like them in my home! It absolutely grosses me out and makes me want to just scrub everything and bleach my whole house when I know that one has been trying to take up residence. They just poop way too much!

Luckily we haven't had any experiences like the movie "Mouse Hunt" (is that the name of that stupid movie??) and De-Con takes care of them, but I always hate the fact that we have to kill the cute things to get them to leave our house. And I hate knowing that there is poison around our house with our small kids. We are very careful about where we put the stuff to make sure that little hands cannot reach it, but I still don't like it.

I saw a mouse run past me last week while I was downstairs ironing a few things, so we put the De-Con to work. This morning I almost stepped on the, hopefully, said mouse that was dead, or dying at the bottom of the stairs. Luckily Bump was around to take care of it and hopefully no more will move in this fall.

So, yes, I still love fall and I always will . . . and will enjoy it more knowing that De-Con has my back.

6 comments:

David H. Wright Jr. said...

I love fall too. It's my favorite time of the year. I relate with your feelings of RODENTS! Hey fun blog. Dad

desertortoise said...

I'm a fall lover too. I can just imagine how wonderful your home is in the fall with crafts and the smell of good food and one mouse can't spoil that at all!

Kristi said...

I lOVE the smells and colors of fall but just today as I opened the garage a mouse ran into a pile of shingles stacked to the side. ICK!!!

Anonymous said...

Yuck!!

amb said...

LOVE the fall! I don't have rodents but spiders...uuggghh!! Time to get out the bug spray. Glad you got rid of the mouse though!

NikkiAWardell said...

I can handle snakes, spiders, and other creepy crawly things but I HATE mice. We lived in a house in Kaysville for a while and mice got inside the walls. They would scratch and scratch trying to get out and then die....you can imagine the smell!!! I was so glad to move out!!!!:)) But...I love the fall too!! Leaves, cool weather, smell of wood fires in the air, yummy baking season!!!