Growing up in our house with 8 kids we could only dream of the possibility of owning our own Atari game system. We loved it when Uncle Roy would come over and bring his game system for us to play. We first played games on the old Commadore 64 computer and then finally got a Nintendo and absolutely loved it!Well, Bump was lucky enough to have had several gaming systems over the years between him and his older brothers. He loves video games! He has always loved video games and I am sure that he always will! Right now we own an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a Wii as well as an old modded Xbox in storage and who knows what else?
Anyway, a year or 2 ago my sister-in-law, Trish, was getting rid of a box of old Atari game cartridges and asked if we would like them. I would have said no, but Bump was so excited and said that we definitely DID want them. I asked him what he was going to do with old Atari cartridges and he just smiled and said that we had to think of something. . . so the box was put in storage.
Well, as I mentioned in the last post, Bump was very ambitious this past Saturday and started out the morning cleaning out the basement. While going through boxes he found the old cartridges and asked me what we could do with them. So, I thought about it and said that it would be cool to make some kind of a wall hanging. I was thinking some kind of modern art kind of thing that you see them make on Trading Spaces and those kind of shows. Bump got really excited about that and said that he thought it would be cool to make some kind of pixelated character like a Space Invader to hang. Cool, so I had a new project.I looked up pictures of space invaders online and found one that would fit the amount of cartridges that we had been given. And after dealing with wind gusts (I was outside with the kids yesterday trying to work on it while they were enjoying the nice weather) and trying to use various types of glue and other things to hold the cartridges together, I finally completed my project today! Here is our friendly space invader hanging out in the computer area. Bring back any arcade memories? I added some close-up pictures so you could see some of the games that were used.


Overall I think it turned out really cute and Bump is absolutely thrilled with the final result!! It's a great remembrance of fun past gaming! Thank you Atari and Trish.
11 comments:
It is absolutely amazing! I am so impressed. What a great idea.
That is so COOL!!! I love it.
Why does this not surprise me?? It looks great!
How fun! When we lived in Idaho in 97 Matt bought me an Atari and some games at the thrift store. I had told him we had one growing up and the boys never really let me play. So he got me one for my birthday. =)
(wonder where that ever went!?!)
That is awesome. I love finding new uses for old things. That "space invader" will be such a great conversation starter too. Way to be creative!
ooooohhhh I MISS the Atari!!
Holy cow! That is too cool. That was definitely a walk down memory lane for me. I sat here trying to find all my favorite games,Kaboom, Boxing, Adventure...ahhhh, Those were the days. I think I can still remember the exact motions to get me (a very advanced looking square) through the invisible maze on Adventure, while a very ill imaged dragon chased me. I completed all the levels ya know:)
Oh I forgot to ask, are all the games hooked together then? Like you could carry that whole thing around with you? Getting those corners to stay together looks very hard and I know that each bottom end is hollow. How did you do it?
A mix of super glue and hot glue mostly. I used a few used dryer sheets on the back to help reinforce it. The bottom two legs have the hardest time. Who knows how this will hold up in the long run?
What a fun wall hanging for a computer/office!! Your creativity never ceases to amaze my analytical and far too practical self!!!!:)
That is such a great idea! Oh Pac Man...where have you been? I loved Space Invaders as well. Oh how times have changed!
Post a Comment