I snapped a quick picture of Bump as he headed out for some ward visits last night (notice my new parlor curtains, by the way. It's looking a bit more Victorian every day!!)A few weeks before Christmas we got a phone call from the Stake Executive Secretary asking Bump to meet with the Stake President (who is my sister's hubby, by the way) one Sunday morning. Normally they ask to meet with the person and their spouse, so I calmed his nerves telling him that it wasn't going to be a big deal because they didn't ask me to go with him. Well, Sunday morning rolled around and Bump got up and went to the Stake Presidents office. In about 10 minutes he came back and said to me, "Erin let me just apologize first." Okay, I thought, why would he be apologizing? Then he went on to say that I definitely needed to be there with him and needed to get ready to go really, really quick.
So, imagine with me. It's about 8:40am on Sunday morning and I am in my pj's just cleaning up breakfast and I need to be Sunday ready with all the kids dressed and ready to go also, because there isn't anybody else to watch them while we go. Oh, and I have about 10 minutes. No biggie, right? Well, it was an amazing feat, but it happened and we were sitting in the Stake Center about 15 minutes later looking our Sunday almost best, hair done and everything!! Thank goodness for pony tails and long hair!!
To make a long story short. Bump was called to be the 2nd Counselor in a new Bishopric that would be put in on the last Sunday of 2008. To say that Bump was a little shocked would be an understatement. He was amazed and quite humbled as he accepted the call and for the few weeks that have since followed.
It is always an amazing thing to see someone grow in a calling that may seem overwhelming to most people. We have lived in our ward for less than a year and so we don't know that many people. Before when I would be talking about a particular person in the ward Bump would listen politely, but since being put in the Bishopric he asks me who they are again and has me point out people to him so that he can really put names with faces. He contemplates everything and is so friendly and outgoing with everyone at church and when he sees them around town.
He feels overwhelmed at times and wonders how he can really be a help to the bishop when he doesn't know people very well, but he just genuinely loves people and it shows in everything that he does. I know that we will both grow by leaps and bounds as he faithfully fulfills this calling and any others that the Lord has in store for him throughout life. Callings come from God and those who are called are qualified. It should be a fun 5 years or so.
9 comments:
We've been so impressed with Bump. You can tell he really cares for the people he serves.
He will be great! He is such a great guy. You will be a great support to him as well.
Bump will do great, he is so genuine or what I call the salt of the earth. My thoughts are with you alone with the kiddos, I'm sure having 2 girls in the mix helps.
It's amazing how they grow! Thad was the same way when he was put in as the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric in our ward in Rexburg. He hardly knew anyone at first and I just marvelled as I sat back and watched him grow. This will be a special time in your lives filled with lots of extra blessings. Enjoy!
What an amazing blessing it is to serve. I can attest to the fact that the blessings are there. He will be AWESOME and you will be great as well.
Sitting alone is hard but I promise you it gets better each week. I have been doing it for 2 1/2 years now w/ my 4 little guys and it is a blessing to watch them become more and more reverent. It isn't always easy but it really is worth it. That first year was really hard for both of us but it all smooths out.
One thing we found to work well was sitting close to the front so dad can give them the "eye" if they are being naughty. It seems to work...sometimes.
Good luck and enjoy the extra blessings.
Marty is going through the same transformation in his new elders quorum president calling. I just sit back in amazement. I am so grateful. I am so happy for you guys and this calling what a wonderful blessing for your family.
Congratulations on the new calling. It is a blessing to a family. Church is hard sitting by yourself, but I stand in amazement at the help the lord gives those mommies that sit by themselves each week in church. The Lord will be very mindful of you and your needs throughout the next few years. Erick has been the 2nd counselor in our ward for about 2 years now. But the blessings are there! Good luck!
What a fun ride you guys have ahead!! Enjoy every minute of it! Love you tons!
O my gosh! I just found you on Jeannie Hatch's facebook page! I haven't talked to you in forever! Cutest family! How are things going? We had a blog, but our's is private. If you would like an invite e-mail me mandee_hoagland@hotmail.com
Post a Comment