Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I hate wasps!

We have had a problem with wasps in our yard this summer. When the roofers came and replaced our roof they were stung several times in the process. One of the roofers said that they took down at least 5 wasp nests up inside the front eaves of our roof. Since the roof has been finished I still see the wasps flying around that particular area and so I am sure that they are back and building more and more nests. I have really come to hate wasps and their dang nests!

Yesterday I was out trimming our overgrown bushes out in the front yard. I finished most of one bush and started on the second one. After I took a few cuts I noticed some wasps flying around me. I stopped cutting and looked around to see if there was a nest in my bush. Sure enough there was quite a large nest with several wasps flying around it. I took my clippers and knocked down the nest and ran and got the kids into the house while the wasps were mad. I went ahead and put Quincy down for a nap and got the other two kids playing upstairs and decided to see if the wasps had calmed down yet.

I walked up to the bush and could only see a couple of wasps, so I thought I was pretty safe to start trimming again (it drives me nuts not to complete a project that I have already started). I went to the other side of the bush, just in case, and started clipping away. After only 2 or 3 clips I was swarmed by the angry wasps and they were mad! I was swishing them away from my hair and around me while I danced toward the house and one of them stung me right on the wrist. Stupid wasps! I must have looked so funny to anyone driving by at the time.

Getting stung by a wasp hurts! I ran the sting under water and washed it with soap, but I could feel the venom just burning around my wrist. After awhile it let up and I put some benedryl gel on it and the pain pretty much went away. Then last night it felt like I pulled a muscle in my wrist and it took me awhile to figure out what I had done to hurt my wrist. The only thing I had happen to my wrist was getting stung by that dump wasp! It is still sore this morning.

I feel like such a baby writing this - I am fine and it's not a big deal, but I have declared all out war on the wasps in our yard! Bring on the poison! I now hate wasps!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic...so I'm right there with you...but if it had been me...I would have just left that bush alone and let it grow as tall as a tree if need be! :) Love and miss you!

Unknown said...

OW!! We had wasps at our house in West Jordan. They built a nest in between some boards in the side of our house. Marty got smart and sealed the holes with calking. That night Sage started screaming and we ran down to check her and discovered her room full of wasps and her covered with owie stings. Marty felt terrible. They were ard to get rid of.

Tara said...

I hate wasps too. They are all over our "old" house. I fully agree. They hurt. OUCH