Monday, December 24, 2007

Calling the North Pole


Christmas Eve seems hard for kids. The excitement of knowing that Santa is coming and wondering if he will be bringing you what you asked for makes it hard for kids to settle down and just relax. Well, today was hard for Gabby and she was really acting out. We threatened her that Santa was watching and wouldn't come if she wasn't good, but it didn't work. I really wanted it to sink in, so I told her that I was calling Santa on the phone and telling him not to come. She was really upset, but I think wondering if I would really call him.
I dialed a number that I have memorized in Nauvoo, Illinois and asked to speak to Santa Clause. I explained to "Santa" that Gabby was acting up and didn't know if he should come to our house and asked if he would like to talk to her. He said that he would and I handed the phone to Gabby.
She said, "hello," and her eyes got really wide as "Santa" started talking to her. He asked what she wanted for Christmas and she told him polly pocket princesses. He said that he would bring them to her if she would give me a hug and a kiss and tell me she was sorry and if she was good for the rest of the day. After he told her that and she said that she would be good she said, "I love you, Santa!" She had the biggest grin on her face the whole time and was thrilled to be talking to Santa.
It worked!!! She was an absolute angel the rest of the day and was telling everyone at Darin and Sue's house tonight how she got to talk to Santa on the phone.
Santa called back after a few minutes just to make sure that Gabby really was getting what she said that she wanted. She is getting polly pocket princesses for sure! Thank you so much Santa for helping out the situation and making my wild child wonderful for the rest of Christmas Eve! I think this will be a new tradition for us in the next years to come!
Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

Tera said...

I think it should be a tradition for all the kids. Do you think "Santa" would mind?