Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipse

The path of what people termed "The Great Eclipse" went right across the United States.  Many people drove from Utah up to Wyoming or Idaho to see the total eclipse.  We stayed in Utah and saw our 91% coverage.  I have to say it was so much cooler than I could have imagined it would be!

We went up to Lee and Tricia's house to watch with cousins.  I didn't get the special eclipse glasses (they were sold out everywhere), but Tricia had a few that we were able to try out.  We made pin hole viewers that worked well.

I was surprised how fun it was to play with the eclipse shadows!  When Jared and Casi showed up with their colander it was so cool!  We also saw all of the crescent shapes in the tree leaf shadows.



 By just making a shadow out of your hand you could see the eclipse in the shadow.



 You can kind of see behind me how dark the sky was.  It looked like I was wearing sunglasses when I wasn't.  Everything got really dim outside and the temperature cooled.  It lasted longer than I expected and I kind of wished afterward that we made the trip up north to see totality.




Tried to capture a few shots through the eclipse glasses.



More shadows even between our fingers.  This was toward the end of the eclipse.  Notice how it made the shadows fuzzy?


It was fun to see posts from family across the country.
Thad's family watched totality in Tennessee.

Jamie watched totality with friends in Missouri

Dave and his work friends watched from a rooftop in Los Angeles.

No comments: