We had our first chicken die on Friday night (we found her Saturday morning). It was really a bummer because she was one of my favorites. Twinkles, Gabby named her, was an Americana and laid cool green colored "Easter" eggs. Her feathers were beautiful and her face looked like a hawk. She was a very energetic chicken and was always the first to come running when we would call, so when she got sick it was very obvious.We don't know what happened, it was pretty quick. I let the chickens out in the yard on Friday and she was hardly walking. She would just sit by the water spout and drink and close her eyes. I called and told Bump that she was not looking good and we needed to check her out and see if she had mites or something that could be making her sick.
The next morning Bump told Gabby to go and let the chickens out. I stopped him and said that maybe he should be the one to check them out, just in case. He came back in a few minutes later and said, "good call". Twinkles had indeed died and it would have devastated Gabby to be the one to find her. She still cried a bit and we explained that chickens don't live a long time and sometimes these things happen.
One really cool thing for our kids is that they have a sister who passed away so when one of our animals die we just have to tell the kids that now their sister has a pet in heaven. The tears go away, everyone is happy and it makes them feel closer to her.
So, rest in peace, Twinkles. We won't eat you because we don't know what was wrong with you. :) By the way, I would be a terrible farmers wife! I guess you just can't name your chickens if you are planning on eating them! I will miss those cool green eggs.
6 comments:
So sad. Such a sweet post though. Thank you for sharing. :)
I love the thought that Twinkles is with Adara. You are such good parents. Goodbye Twinkles.
My Dad always taught me never name your pets if they were bought to be eaten.
I'm so glad Gabby was not the one to find her. Goodbye Twinkles!
Such a nice post. So glad you guys are such wonderful parents. Course I think all of Viv & Dave's kids are incredible parents!!
My dad taught me the same as Erick's. We were NEVER allowed to name any of the animals on the farm except the cats & dogs. :)
So glad your kids have been able to make these their pets.
We had chickens and know how easy it is to get attached to them. We had a chicken that got attacked by a weasel and I actually took it to the vet to have it put to sleep. You could see the looks on the faces of other people who were sitting their with their normal dog and cat pets, "Look at the crazy chicken lady!" as I cradled her in my arms. I'm so glad you get to have chickens. I'm more than a little jealous!
Post a Comment