It’s hard to describe what an amazing trip I had to Germany. I haven’t sat down to write anything down, because I just know that I won’t be able to do the experience justice.
Tera and I had talked for months about what would happen when she had her baby in August and how great it would be if I could be there. She and Erick talked about flying me out if Erick was going to be out in the field, but as it got closer it looked like things were going to work out to have Erick there and for him to be able to take some time off to help out for the first 10 days or so. She was feeling good about things and was very positive about how things were working out. The doctor was even going to induce her early enough that her in-laws could see the baby before they headed back to the US from their visit.
Well, then we got the call that Tera’s induction didn’t go as planned and she ended up having an emergency c-section. I was devastated for her because I knew that it would take her longer to recover and worried about her being left just a few weeks later when her husband needed to be gone. It was one of those times when I wished that I had loads of money and I would have just hopped on a plane immediately to give her encouragement and support. Instead she was in the hospital completely unreachable for a week! It killed me not to be able to talk to her. I went through some major withdrawals. I am sure Erick was sick of me calling to find out anything new, but he was patient with me and gave me good updates.
Then I got a phone call from my brother Lee telling me that they would pay a large chunk of money to get me to Germany if I could make up the rest. I couldn’t believe that they would do that for me and for Tera! I think that they understood a little bit of what Tera was feeling since Trish had to have a c-section in South Africa and they were grateful that my mom could be there to help. Well, I called and told my parents what Lee had said and they said that they would make up the difference and that, of course, I needed to be there. So, I bought a plane ticket and called to tell Erick the good news. We both decided that it would be fun to surprise Tera with my arrival, so we kept it secret.
So, I left on August 6th and flew to Chicago and after a 4 hour layover took off for Munich. I arrived the next morning at about 9 am. Erick and TJ picked me up and we drove about an hour and a half to their house. I have a video of Tera’s reaction when I showed up, so see the next post for that. So fun!
Most of the time I spent with Tera at home, helping out with the kids and cleaning up the house and, of course, holding that new sweet baby! I was really there to do just that, but they were nice enough to take me around and show me a few fun things that are just so close to where they live!
That first Sunday after church we went to Flossenberg where there is a really cool old castle ruin that you can hike up to (Tera and baby David stayed in the car) then we walked around the Flossenberg Concentration camp that was build and used during WWII. It was beautiful and peaceful – very opposite of what it once was.
The next weekend Tera was feeling better and so they decided to take me down south to see the Alps and stay at the Edelweiss Lodge in Garmisch, Germany. Garmisch has a military base and a resort just for military personnel and their families. It was so beautiful! It rained on and off the entire time, but it seemed just perfect and didn’t rain on us when we wanted to be out walking around. While down there we saw the “Sleeping Beauty castle”( Neuschwanstein) and Hohenschwangau Castle, and also Schloss (or Castle) Linderhof with its beautiful grounds. We also walked around Oberammergau where they do the famous passion play every 10 years for 100 days. They had just finished the play a few weeks before I got there. The shops there are amazing there with wood carvers galore. It was such a beautiful place! I came to help Tera and Erick and felt like a queen, they took such good care of me! The baby traveled so well and loved sleeping in the car.
I just can’t say enough how much fun I had. I got to try new German foods – I now know what schnitzel is and had some wonderful German brats (different kinds). I also had a few Turkish Doners that tasted a lot like gyros in a ciabatta-type of bread. So yummy!
The best part of the trip and the part that I didn’t get any pictures of, was hanging out and spending time with my closest sister and best friend (besides Bump, of course). I miss her so much and was so grateful for the chance I had to spend some good quality time with her! She is an amazing person and I am grateful for all the help she has been to me over the years. I am so glad for the entire German experience and I can’t wait to take Bump back for a real tourist visit!!
Here are a few pictures from the trip. They aren't really in order, and I have many more, but here is a taste of my adventure at least.
The town of Flossenberg as we climbed to the ruins


















5 comments:
I love, love, love all the pictures! I'm so excited Steve gets to go here, or close to here, on his mission! What a neat place for Tera to live, and what an awesome sister to go take care of her.
Erin, thanks so much! I totally cried while reading this post. I love you! It was so amazing to spend time with you. It felt like we have never been apart. I don't think you will ever know how much your visit meant to me and how much I needed your help physically and emotionally. Next time you come, we will spoil you instead of making you taking care of me.
Thanks so much Lee and Tricia and Mom and Dad for sending Erin to me. You are lifesavers!
Wow, there are some serious grammatical errors in my comment. Please ignore them. I shouldn't type when I'm emotional and have teary blurred vision. :)
Looks so fun! Glad you had a great time! The pictures look fantastic!
What a wonderful family you have! Nothing better than having your sister for your best friend- I don't know what I would do without Janice.
Post a Comment