Saturday, December 26, 2009

We finally have an answer

My awesome dad is color-blind and because he is color-blind his daughters are carriers of the color-blind gene. My oldest sister, Jamie, did not have any boys and since boys are typically the ones who get to be color-blind she has no color-blind children. My sister, Tracy, has 2 boys and 2 girls. Both of her boys are color-blind. Then there is me and my sister, Tera, who both started out with girls and now have boys that are old enough to try to figure out if they are color-blind.

It has been a game with us to try to figure out ways to test our boys while they were younger. We would take bright red or orange toys and lose them in the grass or ask if two things looked the same to them. It was hard because they have been learning their colors so you didn't know if they would say the wrong color because they couldn't see it, or because they just got the color name wrong. When we would compare the two boys it looked like TJ was most likely color-blind, but Corban was either a good guesser or I was pretty sure that he wasn't color-blind.

I have wanted to use the color-blind tests for Corban but he doesn't know his numbers very well yet and all the tests I have seen are numbers. Well, my cousin used the following picture on her blog for something and it hit me that Corban would either be able to for sure tell me if he could see a boat or not. So, this morning I called him up and showed him the picture.
He couldn't see anything but a "rectangle full of dots." So, I got online and found the following two pictures that use shapes and asked him what he saw. On the first one he saw a yellow circle and nothing else.
On this one he saw a yellow square and nothing else.
So, there you go. No more wondering and guessing if he can really see the "right" colors or not. My son is definitely color-blind. And it's okay and it's good to know. Tera, now you can use these to test TJ and you can know for sure too!

Gotta love those genes! Thanks Dad!

3 comments:

desertortoise said...

Oh, I'm glad the test could be helpful but for such an unfortunate result. I think those tests are hard..I didn't notice the other shapes beyond the yellow ones till you told me, then I caught them. Much love to all and hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

We're All Wright said...

Dave says there is a conspiracy! He claims there is no boat in the first and only a yellow circle in the next and a square in the bottom.... he says he is sure glad at least the boys see it right!!!

Unknown said...

That is so cool!!