Our dog, Jake, is almost 11 years old. We got Jake just a few months after we got married back in 1998 and he is an amazing dog! We have people tell us all the time that if we need to get rid of him that they would very happily take him for us! Bump is going to have a very hard time when Jake passes on, he is a big part of our family.
Anyway, Jake has had some fatty growths on different parts of his body for a few years and the vet assured us that these are very normal and most dogs get at least one. He had a large one on his back for quite awhile, but over the last few months that one on his back has gotten quite large. We knew we needed to take him to the vet but it was just time and money that we haven't had lately, so we put it off.
We determined last week that we would take him to the vet this week and see what was wrong with this huge growth (it was the size of my fist). Well, by Wednesday morning we still hadn't taken him. I noticed that his growth looked kind of funny, like it was growing more and so I determined to get Bump to take him in the next day and I was going to call him after I took Gabby to preschool. Well, when I went to take Gabby to preschool and let the dog outside for the morning something was definitely not right. Jake's growth had completely popped and he had yellow pussy goo running all down his fur. Eeeeewwwww! I don't deal well with gross dog things, especially when I don't know what is wrong. So, I made him stay outside and I called Bump to get an appointment.
Anyway, to make a long story short. . . we took Jake into the vet yesterday and he spent the day. The vet said that it was some kind of cyst that can be caused by just a blocked pore or something small like that and that it has gotten larger and was very infected (yes I feel incredibly guilty about that). So, we had her remove what was left of it and clean everything out. While he was under she also clipped his long toenails, lasered a "rice crispy" from his eye, pulled (or filed down, I haven't checked yet) 2 broken teeth and also cleaned his teeth thoroughly. Jake is like a new dog now - or at least he will be when he heals up. He had to have 11 staples put in his back and he's on pain killers and antibiotics for 10 days. She said that Jake actually looks really great for his age and I think Bump was happy to hear that!
He was pretty ticked off at Bump when we picked him up. Bump actually had his parents pick Jake up from the Vet and then we got him last night. He didn't want to go out to the car with Bump. I think he didn't trust him not to take him back to the vet! Today he seems to be doing pretty good and we are happy to have things fixed! I have some pictures of his big ouchy on his back, don't look if it bothers you. I wish I had taken some before pictures, but I don't thing you would have really wanted to see it - especially after it popped! Yuck, it made me sick!
He needs a hair cut and so he looks a bit shaggy, but he is a great dog and we are glad that things are okay now!!


Yes, Jake's spots are even on his skin - isn't that cool??
4 comments:
EEEEWWWW!!!!
glad he is doing well. we know how you feel. not sure what we will do when our dog goes, we got her in 95.
That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. I am glad it is gone he was starting to look a lot like a camel.I hope he is feeling better. Poor Jake.
Post a Comment